What is Trauma?
Trauma is an emotional response to a severe bodily injury that mainly occurs due to falls, assaults, vehicle crashes, burns, and gunshot wounds. It can also be caused by pedestrians being struck by a car. Traumatic wounds can affect internal organs, the brain, bones, and soft tissues of the person’s body. None of the body areas is immune to trauma as it may vary from minor to major incidents.
Penetrating trauma: When an object hits the body leading to an open injury which includes gunshot or stab wounds and farm equipment injuries.
Blunt force trauma: When an object bangs the body leading to deep cuts, damaged bones, concussions because of a vehicle crash, or falls.
Surgical Critical Care Conditions: Trauma surgeons also provide critical care to patients already in the hospital for another surgery such as multi-organ failure, respiratory failure, sepsis, or coagulopathy.
Chronic trauma: It is due to extended exposure to stressful events such as bullying, child abuse, or domestic violence.
Burns: You may need a top trauma surgeon in Hyderabad to treat burns, such as thermal, frostbite, chemical burns, and inhalation injury burns. Treatment options include skin excision, emergency, and skin grafting procedures.
What Does a Trauma Surgeon Treat?
Traumatic injuries often include the following:
- Crush injury
- Acoustical trauma
- Impulsive amputation
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Skull fracture
- Spine fractures and spinal cord injury
- Severe cuts and puncture wounds
- Damaged or dislocated jaw
Depending upon a person’s conditions, the best orthopedic doctor in Hyderabad treats various fractures in the lower limb, upper limb, pelvis, and post-trauma with or without surgical procedures.
Non-surgical procedures include:
- Immobilizing devices: Devices such as casts, braces, splints, and traction are used to treat patients.
- Medication: It lets patients manage intense symptoms such as depression, sleep disorders, and anxiety.
- Therapy: It is the first-line treatment for trauma. There are various therapies, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (making a patient change their thought patterns), eye movement desensitization, and reprocessing (helping patients process and blend traumatic memories), somatic therapies (helping the mind and the body of a patient to process trauma).
Many people who experience a traumatic affair at some point in their lives may be a symptom of shock and distress but, with time, recover within a short period. But suppose you fail to immediately visit the best orthopedic surgeon in Hyderabad and get a surgical procedure. In that case, you may welcome a wide range of long-term problems such as neurological deficits, loss of function, limb amputation, etc.
Who Performs Trauma Surgery?
In severe trauma cases, for example, a disastrous car crash, the best Trauma surgeon in Hyderabad is the part of a surgical team including general surgeons (who takes care of internal abdominal injuries), orthopedic surgeons (to repair broken bones), vascular surgeons (to treat damages to blood vessels), etc.
Duration for a trauma surgery: You may visit the best orthopedic hospital in Hyderabad for trauma surgery. The first surgery takes less than 60 minutes, and the second takes over 2 hours.