What is General Orthopedics and what is the role of orthopedic doctor?
Our body is a complex system comprising ligaments, muscles, joints, tendons, nerves, and bones. The entire system is known as the musculoskeletal system. If any of these parts stops functioning to its full potential, it may result in severe pain or inability to perform any basic motor skills. Here comes the role of General orthopedics. It is an area of medicine that emphasizes the analysis and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries and disorders. Doctors who are involved in this area are known as orthopedic doctors or orthopedists.
Though, historically orthopedists were specialized in the musculoskeletal care of children, but nowadays they are intended to offer similar care for people of all ages. Orthopedic surgeons are the first physician to treat and assess the patient after a fragility fracture. The prime role as the best orthopedic doctor in Hyderabad involves evaluating, diagnosing, treating, and managing patients suffering from degenerative diseases, skeletal deformities, or any other injuries caused to the musculoskeletal system. Their role is not limited to skillful fixation of fractures, but also ensures certain preventive measures like investigation of possible causes of osteoporosis, exercise, attention to diet, calcium & vitamin D supplement, and providing prescription of anti-restorative and anabolic medication.
Common Conditions Treated Under General Orthopedics
A wide spectrum of musculoskeletal ailments ranging from common sprains and strains to shocking fractures and multiple injuries are covered via General Orthopedic. Some of the common conditions being treated in the best orthopedic hospitals in Hyderabad are:
- Sprains & Strains
- Hip Fracture
- Humerus Fracture
- Toe Fracture and many more.
Treatment and Procedures Handled by Orthopedic Doctors
A variety of treatments and procedures are being handled by orthopedic doctors, It includes both non-surgical and surgical treatment.
These treatments also known as conservative treatments are preferred by the doctors before performing any surgical treatment. It includes:
- Exercises: In order to maintain strength, flexibility, and motion in a particular area, orthopedic doctors will suggest some exercises and stretches.
- Immobilization: This technique includes splints, braces, and casts
- Medications: Medications are being provided to relieve pain and swelling. This includes OTC medications like aspirin and Ibuprofen. Sometimes corticosteroids and anti-inflammatory drugs are also prescribed by them.
- Change in lifestyle: This includes physical activity, change in diet, and the ways of exercising.
Sometimes when conservative treatment doesn’t seem effective, in such cases orthopedists suggest surgical treatment. This includes:
- Joint replacement: This includes the replacement of the damaged part or joint. Example hip replacement surgery and knee replacement surgery.
- Internal fixation: This involves the insertion of hardware like pins, plates, rods, and screws to hold the bone intact while healing.
- Fusion: This surgery uses bone graft material and other forms of internal fixation to connect two bones together.
- Osteotomy: It involves cutting down a part of a bone and repositioning it.
- Soft tissue repair: It helps in repairing severely damaged muscles like tendons or ligaments.
There are also some orthopedic doctors who are subspecialized in the specific areas of orthopedics, like hand surgery, sports medicine, and orthopedic trauma.